Be part of our Official Selection 2021!
DocsMX, International Documentary Film Festival of Mexico City, will celebrate its 16th edition and screen the best of Mexican and international non-fiction films. The films will compete in a variety of competitive categories for different awards selected by audiences and jury members. All themes, lengths and documentary sub genres are welcome. The DocsMX Call for Entries for its 2021 Official Selection is now open.
1. The 16th International Documentary Film Festival of Mexico City will take place from October 14th to 24th, 2020.
2. Each participant may submit one or more films to the Call for Entries.
3. The competitive categories will be distributed by geographic, narrative and thematic criteria, length, and defined as follows:
4. In order to participate, you must fill the on-line submission form.
5. We will only receive on-line screeners through Dropbox, Vimeo, Drive or YouTube. Links must be protected with a password and have the download option enabled.
6. The submission is free of charge.
7. Under no circumstances will international entries be accepted after 23:59 on May 30th, 2021.
8. Under no circumstances will national entries be accepted after 23:59 on June 30th, 2021.
9. The date of production should be later than January 1st, 2020.
10. The short films should be works of up to 30 minutes including credits. If the film exceeds this length it will be considered as a feature film.
11. We accept films which have been produced, co-produced or distributed, whether or not it has been screened elsewhere.
12. Films must be subtitled in Spanish and/or English language —depending on the original language.
13. After the film festival has concluded, the selected films have the option to be a part of the streaming on demand portal www.docs-enlinea.com. This will include a contract agreement of exhibition and box office sales with DocsMX.
14. All films submitted to the Call for Entries, whether or not selected, will be a part of the festival archive, the Videoteca. The intention is to provide free access to the films for cultural events and the public. The film could also be considered for other DocsMX events or screenings with previous authorization.
15. If the film is selected the programming team will notify the person who submitted the film with instructions and print traffic material requirements.
16. The Selection Committee includes DocsMX staff and other professionals in the Mexican film industry who follow the quality and creative parameters set by the DocsMX Artistic Direction.
17. If necessary, the Selection Committee may change the film from one section to another, with previous consent.
18. The selected films will have 15 days from the date of notification to send the film. If the film does not comply with the deadline it may be disqualified.
19. Once notified the participants will receive further instructions about the required digital formats, physical copies and other materials, including editorial necessities to confirm the participation. If it is a Mexican film, we will notify you with the specific address and schedule to submit the two required Blu-ray copies for special screenings.
20. Films whose original language is English or any other language must be subtitled in Spanish. However, if the distributor or person who submitted the film does not have a subtitled copy in Spanish, DocsMX can provide the service at an additional cost.
21. All the shipping expenses of the material must be covered by the sender. DocsMX is not responsible for any shipping damage.
22. All shipments and parcels must be clearly marked as follows: «With no commercial value, for cultural purposes only».
23. The festival organization assumes that the producers or directors who submit the films through this Call for Entries are the rights holders of the works for exhibition, exempting DocsMX from any civil or penal responsibilities.
24. If selected, the documentaries in post-production (work in progress) will be accepted as long as the producer or the director guarantees the reception of the film within the dates for the Call for Entries. This shall be expressed through a «letter of intent» that the festival will provide.
25. DocsMX does not pay screening fees in its competitive sections, nor cover extra costs, such as digital processes to generate digital files or other formats related to the digital copy that must be provided to the festival.
26. The Jury members will consist of international and national reputable personalities within the audiovisual industry and cultural organizations. The Jury will be announced prior to the festival.
27. The Jury members cannot submit any works to this current Call for Entries.
28. DocsMX staff will not be part of the Jury.
29. The Jury’s decision is final.
30. Submitting the film implies the producer or director agrees to these rules and regulations; and its interpretation and application are solely for the organizers.
Mexico City, March 2021.