Be part of our Official Selection 2020!
DocsMX, a permanent platform of exhibition, training and creation will host it’s 15th edition of the International Documentary Film Festival of Mexico City. DocsMX will screen the best of Mexican and international production from different competitive categories. The films will compete for a variety of awards chosen by audiences and jury members. We accept all themes and documentary subgenres. Therefore, DocsMX opens the Call for Entries for its 2020 Official Selection.
1. The 15th International Documentary Film Festival of Mexico City will take place from October 08th to 17th, 2020.
2. Each participant may submit one or more films to the Call for Entries.
3. The competitive categories will be distributed by narrative and thematic criteria, length, and defined as follow:
4. In order to participate, you must fill the on-line submission form.
5. We will only receive on-line screeners through Dropbox, Vimeo or YouTube, as long as the links are protected with a password and the download option is enabled.
6. The submission is free of charges.
7. Under no circumstances will international entries be accepted after 23:59 on June 01th, 2020.
8. Under no circumstances will national entries be accepted after 23:59 on June 22 st, 2020.
9. The date of production should be later than January 01st, 2019.
10. The short films we consider should be works of up to 30 minutes including credits. If the film exceeds this length it will be considered as a feature film.
11. We accept films which have been produced, co-produced or distributed, whether or not it has been screened elsewhere.
12. Films must be subtitled in Spanish and/or English language —depending on original language.
13. DocsMX requires a Mexico City premiere in the competitive section, meaning that it could not have been screened at any other film festivals or commercially in Mexico City. However, screenings in other cities in Mexico are permitted.
14. The film will be a part of the festival archive, the Videoteca. The intention is to provide free access to the films for cultural events and the public. The film could also be considered for other DocsMX events or screenings with previous authorization.
15. If the film is selected the programming team will notify the person who submitted the film with instructions and print traffic material requirements.
16. The Selection Committee includes DocsMX staff and other professionals in the Mexican film industry who follow the quality and creative parameters set by the DocsMX Artistic Direction.
17. If necessary, the Selection Committee may change the film from one section to another, with previous consent.
18. The selected films will have 15 days from the date of notification to send the film.
19. Once notified the participants will receive further instructions about the required digital formats and other materials.
20. The film should have a copy with Spanish subtitles. However, if the distributor or person who submitted the film does not have a subtitled copy in Spanish, DocsMX can provide the service at an additional cost.
21. All the shipping expenses of the material must be covered by the sender. DocsMX is not responsible for any shipping damage.
22. All shipments and parcels must be clearly marked as follows: «With no commercial value, for cultural purposes only».
23. The festival organization assumes that the producers or directors who submit the films through this Call for Entries are the rights holders of the works for exhibition, exempting DocsMX from any civil or penal responsibilities.
24. If selected, the documentaries in post-production (work in progress) will be accepted as long as the producer or the director guarantees the reception of the film within the dates for the Call for Entries. This shall be expressed through a «letter of intent» that the festival will provide.
25. DocsMX does not pay screening fees for films in competition.
26. Films in competitive categories will be eligible for a $1,000 USD cash award or an equivalent in kind award.
27. The Jury members will consist of reputable personalities within the film industry and announced prior to the festival.
28. The Jury members cannot submit any works to this current Call for Entries.
29. DocsMX staff will not be part of the Jury.
30. The Jury’s decision is final.
31. Submitting the film implies the producer or director agrees to these rules and regulations; and its interpretation and application are solely for the organizers.
Mexico City, March 2020.
Documentary film is a powerful tool for social transformation. It is a window that brings us closer to protagonists, realities and cultures in order to build more supportive and empathic society. It is part of the essential work at DocsMX and we want to share it with you.